No significant progress in probe yet


Six years have elapsed since the gruesome murder of Sagar-Runi journalist couple took place, but no significant progress in its investigation is in sight.

Mahir Sarwar Megh, the only son of the couple, was five years’ old when his parents were brutally murdered at their Rajabazar house in the city on February 11, 2012. At present, he turned 11, but the case makes no headway.

After six years of the incident, the victims’ relatives got frustrated and lost hope of justice.

Runi’s brother Nawsher Alam Roman, also the plaintiff of the case, said: “The investigative officer (IO) of the case is not communicating with us for the last two years”.

“We have abandoned our hopes of unearthing the motives behind the murder,” he said, adding that the case might have been covered up in a planned manner.”

On February 1, this year, a Dhaka court asked RAB to submit the probe report by March 13 following failure of ASP Mohiuddin Ahmed of RAB, the IO of the case, to submit the probe report on the day.

RAB and other law enforcement agencies got the time extended for 54 times for submission of the report, but in vain.

Different courts have expressed dissatisfaction over slow progress of the investigation.

Court sources said that RAB could not make any headway in unearthing the mystery of the murder even after getting DNA reports from a private lab in the USA.

RAB has so far submitted eight progress reports to the court about the case.

But no progress reports indicated that RAB got any substantial clue in the case.

Investigators have interrogated 158 persons, including 27 journalists, and recorded statements of Megh, without any outcome of the probe.

Expressing frustration, Sagar’s mother Saleha Munir said, “The law enforcement agencies are capable of dealing with many sensational incidents, but why are they failing to find the mystery of the killing of my son?”

Seeking prime minister help, she said: “I only want justice of the killing of my son and daughter-in-law.”

Sagar Sarwar was the news editor of Maasranga TV while Meherun Runi was the senior reporter of ATN Bangla during the incident.

The murder triggered public outcry. Police, detectives and political bigwigs turned up at the couple’s residence and assured their families of justice through speedy trial.

After the incident, the then home minister Shahara Khatun said that the killers would be arrested within 48 hours. The then IGP Hassan Mahmud Khandaker told about significant development in the probe. Even then, DMP spokesperson Monirul Islam said that the suspects were under watch.

However, police admitted to their failure to unearth the motives of the double murder.

Later, the High Court handed over the charge of investigation to RAB on April 18, 2012, but the elite force too failed to find out the motives behind the murder in last six years.

Mufti Mahmud Khan, the director of RAB’S legal and media wing, said that they are sincerely carrying out the probe to unearth the mystery of the murder.

Meanwhile, six suspects in Dr Narayan Chandra murder case were shown arrested in Sagar-Runi murder case as the physician was killed in a similar manner. The elite force also arrested three other persons. But, no arrestee confessed to their involvement in the murder and most of them are now on bail.