Biman’s four passengers released from Yangon hospital, probe body formed


Four out of 19 hospitalised passengers of Biman Bangladesh aircraft that skidded off at Yangon international airport on Wednesday were released from a hospital in Yangon on Wednesday night.
‘Hospital authority at Yangon released four admitted passengers last night and none of other 15 injured those now undergoing treatment there is in critical condition,’ Biman’s general manager Shakil Meraj told newsmen at Balaka, the national flag carrier headquarters in the capital in the morning.
He said that Biman formed a six-member probe committee, headed by the airlines chief of flight safety Captain Shoeb Chowdhury, on Thursday to investigate the incident.
The flight BG-060, operated by Dash-8 Q 400 aircraft, left Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport at 3:45pm on Wednesday from Dhaka to Yangon and suffered an overrun incident on landing amid rough weather at bout 6:22pm local time, wounding 19 people, including one infant and six women, out of 35 passengers and crews.
Apart from two pilots, two cabin crew and two ground engineers, there were 29 passengers including one infant from Bangladesh, Myanmar, India, China, Denmark, France, Britain and Canada, the official said.
Meraj said Biman sent a special flight at 11:25pm on Wednesday night to Yangon to bring the passengers those were waiting to catch the return flight from Yangon to Dhaka.
‘The special flight BG 1061 landed back at HSIA carrying 17 return passengers at 4:50am on Thursday morning,’ he added.
He said that the Biman authorities were providing assistance to the passengers in Yangon.
‘Families of passengers on board flight BG-060 are requested to contact us on the following emergency response numbers for further assistance +88028901530,’ he added.
Bangladesh high commissioner to Myanmar Manjurul Karim told BSS over the phone that he directed his mission officials in Yangon to provide all kinds of support to the passengers.
Representatives from Myanmar’s Department of Civil Aviation and Aircraft Accident Investigation Branch went to the crash site last night, official sources said.